Sunday, February 27, 2011

The speech heard round the world..

Tonight was Oscar night, which can be either my favorite or least favorite night of the year. Tonight, I'd have to say it was my favorite. Almost everything that won (excluding Best Director and Best Documentary) were exactly as I had anticipated and hoped. Compared to the stink that was 2009 Oscars, almost anything could be better. The night started off with me thinking, "ughh, please end this now!" But, I found myself really getting into it  as the time went on. James Franco and Anne Hathaway weren't necessarily exemplary hosts, and I felt that they got it because a.) James wasn't going to win and b.) Hathaway should've been nominated, so this was somewhat of a consolation prize. Their lines felt unrehearsed and sloppy, and to be honest, James Franco seemed a little drunk. Hathaway was trying very hard to do well, but she somehow fell flat. Almost all of the presenters were veterans, and it was really nothing new as far as the jokes went. Whatever though, I definitely don't watch the Oscars for the writing.

This year was very interesting for me because it's the first year I've had the opportunity to do a live tweet during it. And trust me, I took advantage of that. I did almost 100 tweets tonight, which is close to clinical insanity I think. I felt like such a nerd IM'ing on Facebook, tweeting constantly, and watching the show. I'm glad I wasn't the only one though. I felt like I was having a tweet-off with Patton Oswalt. The guy was seriously posting something new every 30 seconds. Also, James Franco kept posting little live tweets from backstage that were borderline annoying.

I'll just come out and say that The King's Speech won best picture. The reason I say this is because TKS is the reason I watched the Oscars this year. I posted by Speech story a while ago from when I first reviewed the film, but here's a little recapitulation for you. When I went and saw TKS, I wasn't quite sure what to expect out of it because I had seen Rocket Science, another movie about stuttering, and although I loved it, I felt like it didn't truly capture the essence and angst of being a stutterer. It was just a character trait of the lead protagonist. But, for TKS, it was the character, which is the case for most stutterers. The stutter becomes a part of who you are, it's no longer just something you do. When I walked into this film, that's exactly how I felt. I felt like the stuttering was being done to me, not something I was doing. I felt helpless, like there was nothing I could do to stop it. I also felt very alone in my pursuit, because very few people, if any at all, that I knew had a stutter as severe as mine. In short, I was feeling like there was nothing left I could do. 121 minutes later, I walked out of that theater crying my eyes out. Not because I was sad, no, that was the last thing I was at that point. I was saved, from myself if anything. There aren't words to explain the feeling I had, but I can try.

For the next 45 minutes, I was letting it all out. The built up anger, the regret, the tension, the hatred I had toward myself. It was all gone. I, at that very moment, felt like a completely different person. A person that can do things, a person that could change the world. I felt understood, and empathized with. Now, all the people who go and see that movie will understand the struggle that I go through everyday just to withstand a conversation with somebody. Why do you think I started this blog? So I could honestly express what I was feeling without being held back by my own speech. After seeing that film, I walked out a new man. I'd never felt so good, and yet so vulnerable in my life before. Colin Firth's unflinchingly true performance forever changed the way I look at not only him, but at acting itself. Performances like that come maybe once in a generation. Mr. Firth, you are a Godsend in all meanings of the word. You've brought hope to millions of people around the world who are held back by stuttering. And that is where I'll end this little story.

If you're interested in reading my admittedly raucous, rude, and really funny tweets about the Oscars, go to www.twitter.com/joey123mo, and don't forget to follow me! I want to wish everyone a happy March, and I hope you had a wonderful February.

This week's Tweet of the Week is:

An eye for an eye makes the whole world broke from all those lasik eye surgery bills.


Thanks for reading everyone! If you go on my twitter and read the rest of my tweets, you can send your opinions on your pick of Tweet of the Week to rudeandraucous@hotmail.com! 

No comments:

Post a Comment