Monday, November 15, 2010

Oh Harry, I'll Miss You So...

Just walking out of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I, I realized how much after I will miss Harry and his adventures after part II of the Deathly Hallows, and the final film in the series, ends. Harry Potter has defined a generation of readers and moviegoers, forever changing the way we looked at wizards and witches. Without Potter and his pals, where would the fantasy world be? Not as far as it's gone in the past 10 years that there have been Potter films. But they also introduced a great cast of young actors, and old favorites alike. Harry Potter brings everyone together (except the Christians of course), and makes us look at "wizardry" in a more realistic, humanizing way. They've given us characters we'll never forget, and true emotional attachment.

I will admit, that when Dobby died, I cried like a baby. Same goes for Hedwig, Harry's beloved owl. Both of those things represent a part of Harry's past, one that he cannot ever get back. A part of him was lost with the death of those two people, same goes for Mad Eye Moody. I won't spoil anything else for you, but still, go see it, you will not be disappointed.

Now, I've got my interview with director Justin Eugene Evans who made the fantastic, A Lonely Place For Dying. Read on!!

1. When did film making become a "career" for you? What age did you know that being a filmmaker would be your path?

In September of 2007 I turned to my wife and said "I've been saying it for years; I want to be a feature filmmaker. I'm ready to make a feature film and now is the time." I was still an art director for a small video game company at the time. It was a terrifying leap of faith; I was leaving a company with an astronomical paycheck, benefits and job security to pursue one of the most difficult career paths imaginable.

2. What other film makers inspired your work and why?

All the obvious choices apply; Spielberg, Scorsese, Tarantino, Cameron, Woo & The Coen Brothers. However, my greatest two influences are Aaron Sorkin and David Mamet. I love dialogue.

3. Of course I have to ask, what are some of your favorite films?

There are thirty films in my top ten. I can't list them all. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, The Sting, The Conversation, The Shawshank Redemption, The Thing, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Searching For Bobby Fischer, The Godfather, Patton, The Searchers, They Died With Their Boots On, GoodFellas, A Few Good Men...jeez, the list goes on and on.

4. Is there any film in particular that inspired you to become a filmmaker?

I saw the original Star Wars when I was four. I turned to my dad and said "That's what I want to do when I grow up!"

5. What are some odd jobs you had while in school, or before you were a director?

My parents owned a video store when I was a kid. I worked at their video store for a year. I also worked in the warehouse for our VHS cassette distributor, Ingram Distribution. I worked as an assistant manager & projectionist for Act III Theaters in Portland, Oregon. And, I worked as a production assistant in Los Angeles to help pay for film school.

After school my film career became sidelined and I focused on art direction, animation and video games.

6. Does your family support you 100%, or do they shy away from the fact that you're an entertainer?

My wife is my partner. I couldn't do this without her. My aunt is a huge supporter of my career. Most of my family has always felt that I should have become a lawyer or gotten my MBA. A Lonely Place For Dying has been featured in Variety, MovieMaker Magazine and on IFC...despite that most of my family still thinks this is a hobby.

7. When making A Lonely Place For Dying, what were your expectations on how it would turn out and how popular it would get?

I set out to make the best movie I could. I don't think about the rest because it's out of my control.

8. Is ALPFD the first script you ever wrote, or are there other things on your shelf?

It's my second feature length screenplay.

9. Was being a filmmaker everything you thought it would be? Was it easier? Was it harder?

Our industry suffered greatly from the Great Recession. I find the craft easier than I thought it would be but the state of our industry far worse. I'm also constantly surprised by the lack of structure to our industry. If I had to compare the film business to any other mainstream industry in America I'd conclude we don't have an industry, we have an incredibly expensive hobby. Your average film company is run with less business acumen than your typical cardboard box manufacturer.

10. How do you deal with criticism whether it be from critics or viewers?

So far we've received almost universal praise for A Lonely Place For Dying. I find the majority of critiques come from other filmmakers and their subconscious motivations are transparent to everyone but themselves...those types are easy to brush off. However, regardless of the source and regardless of what comment there is only one thing anyone can say: "Thank you for your feedback." That's it. There's no point in arguing with someone who dislikes some aspect of a story and there's no point in dismissing a fan's praise. No matter what they say my answer is always a very simple thank you.

11. What advice do you have for all aspiring filmmakers?

My advice would be tremendously controversial and require an entire book. I won't bore anyone with the typical bumper sticker advice.

However, here are a few quick ideas:

1.) Be willing to look in the mirror and see who you really are. If you can't do that you'll be doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

2.) Ignore 99% of what "your fellow peers" say because they've never taken #1 to heart and they are an enormous Id with virtually no conscious decision-making. Move past dead weight as fast as you can; don't argue with them, don't debate with them, don't hang out with them. Don't let them make this a club. Focus on your work.

3.) Hold onto the few amazing people you meet with tremendous ferocity. You'll meet so few balanced, talented, honest people with deep integrity that you can't afford to lose even one of these people. They are your life raft.

4.) Don't listen to me because I'm hardly famous and I've made one feature film. In fact, why are you even reading this? Stop reading it right now and get back to work on your script!

12. Final question, what can we see in the future from Justin Eugene Evans?

Currently, I'm working top secret project with another filmmaker. Then, I'm going to write one of the 26 treatments I've completed. I'm leaning towards a sci-fi action film I've been developing...but I can't discuss the details yet.

There you have it, Justin Evans is one of the nicest, and most down to earth guys I've ever met, and a great filmmaker at that. Keep it up Justin!

As for the readers, that's all I've got for now. Stay off drugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment