Thursday, January 13, 2011

Somewhere..

Crazy story actually, Willow, the reason I'm in a cast, had this sweatshirt that I basically stole from her. She wanted, no, needed it back. She kept telling me that she was going to go to my house and pick it up. Living in Anthem, I seriously didn't think she was going to. Of course, being Willow, she shows up at my house for the jacket. I was shocked to say the least.

Now, I had the chance, privilege, opportunity, and pleasure of seeing the new Sofia Coppola movie, Somewhere. The film follows actor Johnny Marco (Stephen Dorff) as he reconnects with his 11-year-old daughter Cleo (Elle Fanning). I had been anticipating this film's release since about April or May of last year, and I wasn't about to be disappointed by my favorite filmmaker, so I was almost afraid to see this film. I walk in, ready for anything. The first act is very good, very funny, and almost sad in a way. The second act rolls around and Cleo enters Marco's life again. The 2nd act is the film's best, and truly shows the connection between the two of them, how similar they are, and how much he really loves her. The 3rd act, almost as good as the 2nd, is bittersweet in a way. One because the film is coming to an end, and two, because well, you just can't bear to see the two get separated again. We've seen a growth in their relationship, and seen inside their souls, and it just kills the audience to let them go. Somewhere did something very few films have the ability to do, and that is to absolutely fall in love with these characters. Dorff does an excellent job portraying Marco, and Fanning does equally as well with her character of Cleo.

I felt like Johnny and I were very similar people. I think I know why, but I don't want to say so until I'm sure. This is a film that's going to be on my mind for a long time, of that I'm sure. Coppola already owns 2 spots on my top 20 list with Lost In Translation and The Virgin Suicides. Congratulations Sophia, you've just earned a third. Somewhere obviously gets an A+ from me.

This weekend is the Disneyland trip with ASA, so I won't be able to get back onto the computer and writing again until Sunday, so don't expect anything until then please. I'm pretty excited about the trip, and I hope all goes well (it seems like it will). I really don't have much else to say, I just wanted to get this damn review out of my system. I needed it.

Again, please check out my writing on www.blogforteens.com. There's another, somewhat shorter review of Somewhere, as well as a comment on Obama and the Tucson shootings. I'm really not sure if you can look on my Blogger profile and see which posts I wrote on the site, but you can look around if you'd like. I'll look into that a little more soon.

I've been getting questions as to why I never post pictures up with my posts. It's funny that someone brought that up, because at the Blog For Teens gig, I have to put up pictures for everything that I do. In all honesty, I don't know why I don't, I'd just rather not. And now, I'm not even sure why you would care about this. Go, read a book or something!

No comments:

Post a Comment